Semtech Corp. has announced the latest family of load switches in its FemtoSwitch product platform. The new, ultra-low RDS(on) load switches are well suited for 5 V, 15 W USB Power Delivery (USB-PD) type-C port controller applications and other power rail switching applications, such as battery-powered portable electronics.
This product family extends Semtech’s FemtoSwitch platform of high-performance analog load switch ICs. It features slow, soft start when the switch is turned-on to limit the in-rush current. Its output pin provides an auto-discharge function for H-version products, and it is protected from overload faults with a 3 A current-limit, as well as from over-temperature with a shutdown circuit.
“This expansion to our FemtoSwitch load switch platform enhances Semtech’s high performance, low power product portfolio,” said Francois Ricodeau, Product Line Manager for Semtech’s Power and High-Reliability Products Group. “By providing ultra-low RDS(on) load switches geared toward USB-PD type-C port controller applications, we are able to meet the demands of the fast-growing portable electronics market.”
Key Features of the Ultra-Low RDS(on) Load Switch Family
- Sophisticated integrated circuitry for ultra-low, 9mΩ RDS(on) to minimize voltage drop and energy dissipation across the switch
- Controlled soft start to limit in-rush current
- 3A continuous output current to protect from overload faults
- Over temperature protection
- Ultra-small 0.9 mm by 1.4 mm package